Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Man's Word Is Worth His Weight in Gold

I'm a firm believer in the above statement. In fact, if you ask anyone, chances are, they would subscribe to the same belief as well. However, how many of us consciously put it into practice?

Yeah, perhaps you may make it a point to keep 'major' or 'important' promises, but what about the little ones you make and break on a periodic basis?

I heard in a seminar by T. Harv Eker (The Millionaire Mind Intensive, which I would encourage everyone to go) the following saying, which I've adopted as my 'mantra' now:

"How you do anything, is how you do everything!"

Meaning to say, you need to be consistent with your actions no matter small or trivial it is, as that would be how you'd react in a major event.

I've come across many people (especially friends and colleagues) who love to make little promises they don't intend to keep. Say for example, if you bump into an old friend while shopping, catch up a little and exchange numbers. And just before you part ways you tell him "I'll call you sometime", will you really follow up with a call? Or would you let it slide?

Or let's say he said that to you? Would you expect him to call?

If the answer is no, why make the remark in the first place? If you were sincere, then you should call him. Otherwise, don't say that you'd call. Just exchange numbers and that's it.

How about keeping your appointments? Say you promise your client that you'd meet him at 10 am. I bet you'd probably make the time. If it was a big case, you'd probably be there around 9.30 am waiting for him!

If you could be on time for your client, why can't you do the same for your friend? Let's say you really can't make the time due to some unforeseen circumstances, you would at least call your client to notify him of your delay. Why can't you extend the same courtesy to your friends?

Why the double standards? How you do anything, is how you do everything! For those in the sales line, over time, you'd build a reputation with your clients. And in time, most of your clients would end up being your friends. So, once they are classified as 'friends' then you'd start applying your normal 'friends' timing, taking your client-friend for granted.

I just find it appalling that many people love to make promises and then conveniently forget it later on. It may be a small issue, say promising someone that you'd call or even a promise to buy someone dinner!

You may say it as a passing remark, but the person you gave the promise to, may not forget it. I've experienced many situations where people wanted to borrow a certain amount of cash and promises to pay me back by a certain date. And when that date arrives, there's no news of the cash. Not even a courtesy call to apologise for the delay or even a request for an extension!

I mean, the least you could do, if you are still short of cash or haven't sorted your finances yet, is to tell me so! Come on, at that time when you really needed the cash, you can call me a 100 times, send me so many smses, desperately asking me for the cash, but when the due date that YOU promised me arrives, no news! Nothing!

You conveniently 'forget' that you even owe me money. No courtesy call, no request for extension, no apology. Nothing!

Why is it you expect me to chase you for it? I find it sad that when you need cash, you remember my number, but when you have it, you can forget you owe me cash? It's not like I'm charging interest!

The above is intended particularly to 3 people who are NOT on my facebook. Just to set the record straight, this does not apply to some of my friends who owe me cash for their insurance premiums, we are cool because you guys always keep me updated. So, if you are reading this and are on my facebook, don't worry, it's not about you ;)

Anyway, back to the topic. Why can't people stick to their words? Why do people have the habit of making promises they can't or don't intend to keep? Or at least even feel bad that they can't keep to their promise?

A man's word is worth his weight in gold! If you can't keep your word, you are worth nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment